- Templates - Source of documents for contracts; created in the template editor; where static contract text, dynamic elements, appendices, and signature placeholder fields are inserted and formatted.
- Contracts - Documents generated from templates, which can be shared, edited and e-signed to become legally binding agreements; an unlimited number of unique contracts may be generated from a single template.
- Generate - To create (originate) a new contract from a template.
- Team - Work space where individuals within an organization share access to a template repository. Organizations may have one or multiple teams.
- Teammates - Members of a shared work space on Outlaw called a team; teammates are assigned roles when invited to a team by the team owner.
- Owner - Team role that allows a member to create, view and edit templates, generate contracts, and invite new members to a work space (ability to set member permissions).
- Editor - Team role that allows a member to view, create and edit templates and generate contracts.
- Viewer - Team role that allows a member to generate contracts from active templates.
Sharing and Access
- User - An individual with whom a contract is shared and thereby has access to it.
- Sharing - The process (manual or automated) of giving a user access to a contract; sharing involves assigning user roles and permissions, either by default or by selection (see below "User Permission Levels" and "Party Association").
- Manage Users Panel - Location in Outlaw's contract environment where user roles and permissions are set. The panel opens at upper right of contract screen (person icon).
- Guest Access - When a contract is shared with a user, the user may access the contract as a "Guest," which provides one-click access (as opposed to requiring log in). To read more about Guest Access, review this article.
- Auto-Include - Feature enabled in template "Settings" that automatically shares contracts created from that template with pre-selected users (note: users must be teammates).
User Roles & Permissions
Users are given access to contracts via sharing. A user's level of access to a contract is determined by the contract Owner, who sets the user's permission level as described below.
- Owner - User who generates a contract is its Owner by default. Owners have global editing ability (may fill in all dynamic elements and edit all static text) and can assign and manage the permissions of other users on a contract.
- Editor - User with global editing permission on a contract.
- Proposer - User who can propose changes to a contract (create red-lines) and can approve/reject red-lines created by others.
- Viewer - User who can view a contract but cannot edit or suggest changes. Viewer is the default permission level for users who are not signing on behalf of a party.
- Signer - Default permission level for a user who is signing on behalf of a party. This permission level can be set higher (ex. to Proposer) and this user will still be able to sign.
- Party Association - A user who will sign a contract must be identified as a signer associated with a party on the deal. Make this selection from the first drop down menu beneath the user’s entry in the Manage User Panel. If a Party association is selected here, this user will be able to sign the document, regardless of any other assigned user permission level (Ex. Proposer).
Remember: you can raise a signer's permission level higher by selecting "Proposer," "Editor," or "Owner" from the second drop down menu:
Regardless of permission level selected, a user who is associated with a party will be able to e-sign.
- Deal Flow - General term for the phases a contract moves through. Teams can create and adapt deal flows based on user preference or requirements set by their organization. Deal flows may be non-linear and can include features or user assignments to achieve desired work flow
- Generation - Creation of a new contract
- Export - Conversion of a contract to a PDF or Word document
- Set Up - Begins when a new contract is generated and continues until all dynamic elements are filled in ("closed").
- Draft - Begins when Set Up ends; user is prompted to share the contract with other Parties on the deal and phase ends once deal has been shared.
- Review - Begins when the contract is shared and encompasses the period in which modifications are made to the document. This phase ends when all negotiation points are resolved.
- Sign - Begins when all negotiation points are resolved, which enables e-signing for all parties. A signature can be cleared during this phase as long as all parties have not signed.
- Done - When all parties have signed, the contract is legally binding.
- Elements - Placeholder fields embedded in a template, filled in during contract set up.
- Party Element - Element that holds space for information to be collected about the Parties to a contract.
- Instance - Each place a particular element is embedded in a template.
- Properties - Types of information contained within Party elements, including company/organization name, full name of signer, title, address, email and phone number. Each instance of a Party element may be formatted to display any one of these six properties.
- Conditional Section - Portions of contract text that have been formatted to appear only when certain conditions are met (ex. a lease rider that only appears if a pet is present).